Gas fireplaces are quickly gaining popularity as an alternative heating source in Nashville homes. With a gas fireplace, there is no need to source real wood, and gas fireplaces are highly efficient. Generally, gas fireplaces are easy to use and require minimal maintenance. Here we explain the best practices for using the gas fireplace in your Nashville home effectively.
Know the Type of Gas Fireplace
You must know which type of gas fireplace you have or will get in order to use it properly. The types of gas fireplaces include:
- Direct Vent Fireplaces. This is the most common type of gas fireplace. A wall-mounted vent exhausts the combustion gases, or gases are vented through a roof. They are incredibly efficient. Installation is inexpensive and easy, with great flexibility in placement. These are ideal for zone heating.
- Class B. These gas fireplaces use a through-the-roof Class B flue to bring hot combustion gases out, and they typically have operable doors.
- Vent-free. Vent-free gas fireplaces do not have a flue, so they can be installed anywhere. They are up to 99% efficient, with all of the heat they produce staying in the room. These units are created to burn incredibly clean and with limited output. These are not permitted in all states or countries.
Maintenance and Safety
Gas fireplaces require very little maintenance, making them very easy to use effectively. Occasionally, you will still need to remove any buildup of dust or soot and to make sure the doors are intact. If you happen to smell gas, you should certainly contact a professional to inspect your gas fireplace.
To safely use your gas fireplace, you should follow the same guidelines used for wood-burning fireplaces. These include:
- Keep flammable objects a safe distance away.
- Use a fire screen.
- Guard against roof fires with a spark arrester at the top of the flue.
- Install properly working smoke detectors on every level of your home. For gas fireplaces, it is also a good idea to have carbon monoxide detectors.
- Have a fire extinguisher handy at all times.
Whether you have a gas or wood-burning fireplace, the Chimney & Masonry Outfitters of Nashville is ready to keep it in optimal condition. For those in the Nashville area, CMO is the preferred choice for fireplace installation, repair, and updates. Learn more about how we can help you with your gas fireplace by contacting us at (615) 823-8268, OFFICE@CMOUTFITTERS.COM, or through our website.