Your fireplace is an ideal centerpiece for your Nashville home, that serves as a hub for cozy nights and family gatherings. Wood-burning fireplaces are still a common choice in new homes and are very prevalent in older homes. While you do not necessarily need to clean out ash after ever fire, you will eventually need to do so in order to keep your fireplace clean and efficient. It is most crucial to clear all the wood ash out of your fireplace after the main burning season. Add fireplace cleaning to your spring checklist and follow these easy steps.
Cleaning out hot ash is very dangerous. You should be sure ashes are completely cool before cleaning them out. Wait at least 48 hours or more to ensure sufficient cooling time. Using a mask is also a great idea, and should absolutely be done if you have asthma or allergies. Prep the area by laying plastic sheeting around the fireplace to protect your flooring and make clean up easier.
Cleaning Wood Ashes from Your Fireplace
Once you have prepared the area, it is time to clean out the ashes. While it may be tempting, please do not attempt to use your household vacuum to remove the ashes. Common household vacuums do not have the necessary filter and may create very messy blow-back. Instead, follow the tips below.
- Wipe down the grate and set it on the plastic sheeting.
- Settle dust and reduce flyaways by placing some used coffee grounds on top of all of the ashes.
- Sweep the chunks of wood and ashes into a metal container using a whist broom and dustpan. Be sure you sweep every single interior wall of the firebox entirely.
- Brush the firescreen mesh.
- Dispose of the ashes by places the metal container full of them outside. Place them away from flammable or combustible items. Avoid putting them on your wooden deck or patio.
- If it is the end of the burning season, close the damper to save on your electric bill. Remember, you must open the damper the next time you plan to use your fireplace.
The Best Solution
The easiest way to clean out your fireplace is to call your local Chimney & Masonry Outfitters of Nashville who will handle that for you as part of your annual chimney sweep. Spring is the perfect time to get your chimney and fireplace clean and inspected to make sure it will be ready for the next burning season. Contact us at (615) 823-8268 or OFFICE@CMOUTFITTERS.COM to schedule your yearly chimney sweep and inspection.