Masonry is the timeless practice of using mortar to put together brick, concrete, or stone. Historically, masonry was used to create many renowned architectural structures. Even today, most homes, schools, factories, and stores you frequent every day are products of sound masonry, and we at CMO are proud to live up to this rich history.
Benefits of masonry
Stone and brick, materials commonly used for masonry, are non-combustible and protect your home against damage in the case of a fire. Because it is fire retardant, brick is an optimal choice chimneys or fireplaces.
Allergies, fungus and mold protection
Brick is moisture resistant, so it does not accumulate mold and fungus build up like wood structures.
Because masonry traditionally uses durable and recyclable materials and reduces the consumption of natural resources, the entire process is considered highly environmentally friendly. Concrete allows a home to store energy and delay the passage of heat, increasing the home’s thermal mass. “Green” building initiatives often rely on masonry.
Brick provides an ideal sound barrier to reduce sound transmission.
Brick adds value to your home by improving the curb appeal of your property.
Stone masonry is weather-resistant and provides structural durability.
Signs your bricks need repair
Despite the numerous benefits of brick, problems can still arise over time. To ensure the durability of the brick, it must be maintained. Catching the symptoms of damaged brick is critical to reducing further damage including water infiltration. Here are some signs that you may need masonry reparation.
- Cracks: Visible cracks in the foundation are a concern. Vertical cracks are the least likely to cause a collapsing wall, but should still be repaired to prevent water from seeping in.
- Efflorescence: When moisture draws salt out of the mortar and brick, it produces a white substance called efflorescence. Clogged drainage within the wall, damaged flashings, and leaking pipes are all potential causes of efflorescence.
- Mortar disintegration: Moisture trapped being the veneer causes corrosion over time. When the mortar between bricks buckles or disintegrates, bricks loosen or rub together causing further damage.
- Brick chipping: Chipping brick faces, or spalling, are an eye-sore, but they can also be a sign of a much more serious issue. If the shelf angle behind a row of bricks is corroded, it will weaken and unify the weight of brick and mortar which can lead to serious problems.
Causes of Masonry Damage
Time and extreme weather will slowly damage your bricks. Failing to maintain your bricks can lead to costly damage long-term. Harsh Nashville winters with frequent freeze-thaw cycles will lead to cracking bricks. When a small amount of water becomes trapped within bricks, it will expand upon freezing pushing on the bricks. Other extreme weather, like lightning or strong win, will also wear on brick over time.
The best way to prevent irreparable damage and preserve the longevity and appearance of your home is to address even small problems in a timely manner.
The elements can take a toll on the brick and stone over time. Damaged brick can lead to more serious issues, like water damage and loss of structural integrity. To avoid this, you should find a trusted masonry contractor. The experts at Nashville Chimney & Masonry Outfitters assess and maintain the appearance and function of your masonry. We are passionate and committed to preserving your masonry. We have a range of masonry services for your Nashville home including:
- Brick Restoration: Our outfitters will assess your worn brick and create a plan for restoring it to its original condition. We strive to preserve the equity of your home by restoring the full integrity of your masonry.
- Brick Contractors: CMO artisans can expertly design and build masonry tasks including patios, walkways, columns, and walls. We also maintain your existing masonry to ensure longevity.
- Tuck pointing: Tuck pointing is the process of repairing damaged mortar joints. It improves the structural integrity and aesthetics of masonry structures. We handle any tuck pointing job, no matter how severe.
- Cracked Brick Repair: Promptly repairing cracked bricks avoids progressive damage and expensive repairs. We fully restore your masonry to bring it back to its structural integrity and an exquisite appearance by matching mortar lines and brick color.
- Patio: We can design a patio that meets your needs or give your existing patio a fresh facelift.
Simple masonry repair will prevent more serious long-term problems. Contact us today at 615-823-8268 or firstname.lastname@example.org for any questions about your masonry, or to set up an appointment. For more advice about masonry, chimneys, and fireplaces, check out our blog.