Stone and brick are incredibly durable and can last nearly a century. However, some maintenance is necessary to keep them in optimal shape. Mortar joints may show signs of wear surprisingly quickly. Allowing mortar joints to deteriorate will compromise the structural integrity; therefore, you should repair damaged mortar joints via tuck pointing to preserve your home’s structure.
What is Tuck Pointing?
Tuck pointing, or repointing, is the process of filling in or repairing mortar joints on brick mason work. The complicated process requires attention to detail and should only be performed by a skilled professional. Our experienced masons at Chimney & Masonry Outfitters can tackle any tuck pointing job in the Nashville area. The basic steps of tuck pointing are:
- Remove old, damaged mortar and clean the joint to prepare for the new mortar
- Fill in the brick-colored mortar in the routed grooves
- Remove thin strips in the red mortar to form grooves
- Fill the grooves with a mortar that matched the color of the original mortar
We sandwich two different colors of mortar to fill cracks or missing mortar joints. By alternating the layers of mortar, we create mortar joints with a clean, uniform appearance. The result of this tuck pointing method is a stunning piece of masonry returned to its previous glory.
Benefits of Tuck Pointing
When only your mortar and joints are damaged, tuck pointing may be the best option for repair. Tuck pointing is an effective procedure to preserve masonry structures, and there are numerous benefits opting for tuck pointing. When you choose Chimney & Masonry Outfitters to repair your mortar joints, you are getting the many benefits of tuck pointing including:
- A cost-effective repair. Neglecting mortar damage will lead to more severe damage and greater costs down the line. Damaged masonry joints can decrease the stability of masonry structures and leave the bricks vulnerable to deterioration. Opting for tuck pointing will save you from the enormous cost of a complete rebuild.
- Prevent water from entering the structure. Damaged mortar joints leave your structure vulnerable to water. It will be easier for water to seep down and create even larger problems. This excess moisture creates mildew, mold, and rotting wood that can be incredibly expensive to resolve.
- Restore structural stability. Worn weak mortar joints compromise the durability of your entire masonry structure. Repairing mortar joints strengthens your structure and increases the lifespan of it.
- Bring your structure back to life. Tuck pointing repairs damage and will breathe new life into your masonry structure. The new joints provide your structure with a much longer life and restore its original aesthetic appeal.
- Increase the value of your home. Structurally sound, visually appealing masonry increases curb appeal and your home’s value.
Signs You Should Invest in Tuck Pointing
- More than 6mm of mortar erosion is a sign that your mortar is decaying
- Mortar crumbling is very easy to spot and means that your mortar likely requires repair
- Hairline cracks present in the mortar indicate structural problems and erosion
- Damage is only in the mortar joints. Tuck pointing is ideal for damage only to the mortar joints.
- Cracks and gaps between the bricks and the start of mortar suggest the brick is effected. In some cases, tuck pointing may still work.
If the damage is too severe, tuck pointing will not be the best solution. If bricks are loose or damaged, you may need to seek more extensive repair options. Only a professional can definitively tell you if you tuck pointing is the best solution. Acting quickly upon noticing mortar joint damage will prevent damage from extending to the bricks. The skilled masons at Chimney & Masonry Outfitters will assess any damage and recommend the best course of action to prevent further damage.
All brick structures, including chimneys, walls, and arches, will need repairs and maintenance to extend their lifespan. Tuck pointing is the best solution for mortar joint damage, where bricks are still mainly intact. If you notice any signs pointing to mortar damage, contact a trusted professional for assessment and repairs.
At Chimney & Masonry Outfitters, our expert masons are happy to help you determine if tuck pointing is the best option for you. Whether you live in downtown Nashville, Brentwood, Bellevue, Madison or anywhere in between, our experienced professionals are ready to help you maintain your beautiful masonry structures. With Chimney & Masonry Outfitters, you can be confident about your assessment and expect only the highest quality work.
Our excellent team has the attention to detail, experience, and skills to handle any tuck pointing job. Contact us today at (615) 823-8268 or OFFICE@CMOUTFITTERS.COM to learn more about our tuck pointing services. With our extensive experience and dedication to the craft of masonry, we will help you preserve your masonry. To learn more about our masonry, fireplace, and chimney services, head to our website. Check out our blog for tips about masonry maintenance.