Reasons Your Chimney Leaks
Spring and summer thunderstorms produce a ton of rain, and this rain can tell you some important things about your chimney. When rainstorms hit in Nashville, they can have exposure problems with your chimney that you may not have realized were there. Even without other signs of damage, your chimney may leak. Chimney leaks are a warning sign of its own, and not one you want to ignore. A leaking chimney can suggest that there are issues with your chimney, and the problems will only worsen if you do not address them.
In this post, we explain more about the reasons your chimney may leak and how to solve the issue.
What does a chimney leak look like?
When you think of a leaking chimney, you may envision water pooling up in your fireplace. However, chimney leaks can look many different ways. Here are some versions of a chimney leak that you may experience:
- Water or condensation in your firebox.
- Musty odors following rain.
- You can hear water dripping down your chimney.
- Cracked or spalling masonry on your chimney.
- Leaks, water stains, or moisture on the interior of your home near the chimney.
Reasons for Chimney Leaks
A chimney leak indicates a problem with your chimney, but it can suggest a number of different issues. There are many reasons why your chimney is leaking, including:
- Flashing. Flashing is the watertight seal between your roof and chimney structure. If the flashing is missing, damaged, or improperly installed, it lets water in and results in a leaking chimney.
- Masonry damage. Masonry on your chimney can deteriorate over time. The part of your chimney that sees the most weathering will experience brick or mortar damage and potentially create chimney leaks.
- Chimney cap. Your chimney cap is one of the most common reasons for a chimney leak because it is your chimney’s first line of defense to water and elements. A loose, damaged, or missing chimney cap lets water enter directly from the top of your chimney.
Prevent Nashville Chimney Leaks
It’s critical to deal with chimney leaks as soon as possible. Most chimney leaks can be identified and resolved with regular chimney maintenance, like your annual chimney sweep and inspection. The chimney sweep clears your chimney of damaging creosote and the inspection allows you to find any minor problems before they grow and lead to a leak. The experts at the Chimney & Masonry Outfitters of Nashville can also help you waterproof your chimney to prevent leaks.
If you’ve noticed that your chimney as a leak, it’s time to resolve it as quickly as possible. Call your local CMO experts as soon as possible to assess and repair the leak before it worsens. Protect your chimney and home by addressing leaks as soon as you notice them. To learn more about our chimney leak services or to schedule an appointment today, contact CMO Nashville HERE.